What’s Happening with Us…
What on earth have we been doing? We’ve been selling and moving for months already! Aren’t we gone yet? No, we aren’t. Here’s what’s been happening in the past few weeks of relative silence:
- The husband has been finishing up his last weeks at American Aldes Ventilation. They finally realize he is leaving and are asking him questions and scrambling to learn the things he will not be doing for them anymore
- About half of our “things” got boxed and put in a container that is stored someplace in Tampa.
- Packing has continued as I empty out closets, dressers, cupboards and the garage.
- Keeping the house “showing” ready in case an interested buyer comes our way. We’ve had two open houses, both of which had 0 visitors. Really. Everyone is up north I guess.
- We have been using up our food supply, giving some things away, sold the freezer. (Now we’ll hopefully leave before we get a hurricane so we don’t have to restock.)
- Sold my car, and traded our red truck for a newer Chevy Colorado in a sophisticated grey.
- Ordered a topper to go with the new-to-us truck to give us space for the move. They take weeks to make and getting it put on will probably be the last thing before we leave.
- Spending lots of time driving around together, since I love to drive the new truck and am not letting the husband get behind the wheel.
- Doing our last visits to doctors and dentists, compiling our health records to take north with us.
- Keeping up with summer growth in the yard, mowing, pulling weeds and vines, trimming trees.
- Visiting with friends we may not see again for quite a while.
- Last but not least, trying to keep healthy and find our way out of some disturbing health problems.
What we hope to be doing in the next few weeks:
Dennis Retirement (Click here to see the invitation with a nice picture of the husband. I’m technically challenged to get it to show up, sorry.)
- Retirement party!!! I am so excited to see the husband getting honored by his co-workers. He has been faithfully on the job for 35 years and has been through a lot with this company. They have been planning a special lunch out at a restaurant and a surprise. I have no idea what it is.
- Making an appointment at Mayo Clinic. The husband is frustrated and depressed with his erratic blood pressure and extreme mental and physical fatigue. He has had a brain MRI and tests for his heart and circulation but no helpful diagnosis yet. Ever heard of NPH? We hadn’t either but it is one of the possibilities.
- Emptying out the house. Filling our container and returning it to storage until someday when we have another house to furnish.
- Buying a small trailer for the things we want to take north.
- Taking our trip to Wisconsin, via Greensboro to see Julie and possibly Madison, Indiana to check out Ron and Marlene’s project (this is the first they’re hearing about this though, so we will be flexible on that.)
- We absolutely have to be finished traveling and in Wisconsin by the end of July because the first week in August is the Smith Family Reunion and we are going to be there helping it happen!
So a lot has been happening, even as some important things, like the sale of the house, have not been happening. We are learning and practicing our waiting skills. And since it doesn’t make much difference where we wait, we will do it with family. We are not discouraged. The house will sell, eventually.
4 thoughts on “What We’re Doing this Summer…”
Thanks for the update – I was wondering! And now praying for the health issues you mentioned.
Thank you so much!
See you in August!
Glad you’re planning on being there!