Home improvements have temporarily deprived me of a closet. All my clothes are stacked on chairs in the room that’s become my bedroom. It’s the perfect time to implement the “tidying up” principle and get rid of clothing that doesn’t make me happy (read about that here). Today I am picking up each piece and asking myself if it goes or stays. There’s something very revealing about the process. As I listen to my self talk, I hear this person who has trouble letting go…
- this one fits, I wonder if I can get that stain out, keep
- that one was just what I needed (that one time three years ago), keep
- hate this color, but wow, no stains, have to keep it.
- where has this been? how come I’m not wearing this! Wear tomorrow, keep
- this always makes me so hot, but what if I move north, better keep
- this one never shrinks or shows dirt, keeper for sure (never wear it)
- I paid for this one new, can’t give it away yet (never wear it)
- my daughter gave me this (sob), fits her so nice (not me) keep
- nice blouse (not for me) maybe mom would wear it, keep
- cute but what was I thinking, I’m not 20 anymore, maybe daughter would wear, keep
- this might go under something (couldn’t ever wear by itself), keep
- love this one (nearly broke arm getting out of it 😦 ) keep
- I look so good in this one, can stitch up the hole, maybe, keep
- I love the way this one feels (one day a year in Florida…), keep
- my favorite color, except for the stain, keep and wear for dirty work
- this seemed like a great idea when I was in Cambodia, might go again, keep
- I know there must have been a reason I bought this, keep
Funny thing, the happiness factor hardly ever enters my mind when it comes to clothing. It’s so much more about serviceability and protection and staying on comfortably. Not that I don’t appreciate a little color and style on occasion, just sayin’…
So what does your closet look like? Have you tidied up lately?
2 thoughts on “Fashionable Me”
It feels great to declutter, doesn’t it? I clear out my closet at least once a year…usually after I’ve visited my sister and we’ve been shopping at thrift stores together (so much fun). 🙂
I shop like that with my mom and usually get into trouble, but fun, yes!