Yesterday was my birthday…
And I decided to count and name my blessings throughout the day.
1. I woke up. The chance to celebrate one more time.
2. I woke up on land my grandfather used to own, still in the family, in a free land.
3. 12 people actually read yesterday’s blog post.
4. I had hair to comb.
5. I got to go over and have coffee with my mom.
6. My youngest brother came over to sit with us and tell me happy birthday.
7. Mom added a 1927 cookbook to my antique collection.
8. Pancakes and Nutella for breakfast.
9. A day with no rain in the forecast!
10. Singing birds everywhere outside – red winged blackbird trills,my favorite birthday song.
11. Online greetings that make me tear up.
12. No headache today.
13. Already have supper figured out and ready to cook.
14. A long birthday walk on Hospital Trail North, all 10,000 steps in the great outdoors
15. A surprise stare down with a beautiful wild deer in the forest (which I took as a birthday present since it doesn’t happen very often)
16. More birthday blessings from people online, more happiness reviewing those memories
17. A “hope” rock from my sister-in-law
18. The special dinner – I didn’t burn anything!
19. Birthday dessert from my mom.
20. Alexa played music I liked all evening – another rare occurrence.
21. FaceTime talks, texts, and calls from family during the day. They all helped me to feel valued and to process the fact of aging, and live with the fear of it.
22. The mantra “We understand fear is normal, but courage gets the final say.” from “The Next Right Thing” by Emily Freeman